Before we get into the nitty-gritty of whether or not or not a steam flat iron damages hair, you’re in all probability questioning: what precisely is a steam flat iron?
They’re the identical fashion and have all the identical options of an everyday flat iron, however they launch steam as they straighten the hair. The steam is assumed so as to add moisture and forestall hair from over-drying. If you’ve by no means tried one, there are some things you need to know concerning the scorching instrument first, particularly whether or not or not it’ll injury your locks.
First, the best way a steam flat iron works is by filling a small canister on the flat iron with water. After securing it again onto the flat iron, you flip it on and let it warmth to your required temperature. Then you proceed to make use of it like an everyday flat iron. The factor you’ll discover a few steam flat iron is the seen steam-like smoke billowing out of the flat iron as you run it by means of your hair.
What Makes a Steam Flat Iron Potentially Damaging?
- For in addition to they straighten hair, the outcomes don’t final lengthy. This means you would possibly find yourself over-straightening or repeating the method a number of occasions per day.
- They don’t grip your hair in addition to common flat irons which means you have to to make use of larger temperatures to attain straight locks. Higher temperatures imply extended publicity to excessive warmth.
As vital as these two factors is perhaps, steam flat irons even have status. Because standard flat irons use the pure moisture from oils in your hair to straighten locks, this implies it will probably make your hair dry and broken extra simply. A steam flat iron is made to banish this downside. The steam retains and provides moisture to hair whereas straightening it.
Oil is vital to hair as a result of it lubricates the cuticle and acts as a bonding agent so the hair doesn’t break up. In the long term, in the event you use a standard flat iron and don’t make a degree of utilizing merchandise that can add oil to your hair, you might doubtless find yourself with unhealthy hair and even hair loss.
So the quick reply isn’t any, a steam flat iron just isn’t damaging. It’s a more healthy possibility than standard flat irons.
Things to Remember About Using a Steam Flat Iron
- You’ll nonetheless want to make use of a heat protectant spray – skilled stylists suggest spritzing every part of hair earlier than straightening it.
- The water reservoir on steam flat irons usually must be refilled each quarter-hour, possibly extra relying on how a lot hair you’ve gotten and its thickness.
- Steam flat irons work best when the hair is totally dry. Just out of the bathe within the morning and might’t wait? Use a blow dryer for a couple of minutes!
- Using the steam flat iron day-after-day isn’t as damaging as utilizing a standard one every day, so straighten away!
Overall, if you need healthy-looking hair with numerous shine, positively choose up a steam flat iron. They vary in worth from $20-$50. If you need assistance making the choice, seek the advice of your stylist. And bear in mind to learn the critiques of every one to see what others’ experiences have been.
Ultimately, you need to find yourself with a product you like and a coiffure you like much more!